'Roving Retirees' Jim and Sue Snedker visit Sheldon Lodge

Our 'Roving Retirees' venture to Berkhamsted

Jim and Sue Snedker have been on the road to visit our development in Berkhamsted, Sheldon Lodge. They wanted to tell us how they found their trip to this historic market town...

A lovely newly refurbished Owners' Lounge was the first thing we saw as we entered Sheldon Lodge, Berkhamsted. A pleasant room for the social activities which the Lodge Manager Susan organises for the Owners, which include coffee mornings, keep fit, film club, quizzes and occasionally meals out.

RICH HISTORY

As the weather was a little miserable we drove around the local area and saw Berkhamsted Castle, which was originally built in the 11th Century by William the Conqueror's half-brother. Over the centuries it has been rebuilt and occupied by Thomas Becket, Richard Earl of Cornwall and The Black Prince. It has been a ruin since 1495 and is now maintained by English Heritage. It has large grass areas making it a pleasant place to picnic or walk close to town.

The next day the weather improved and as Wednesday and Saturday are market days within the High Street we walked along to see the stalls and a wide variety of different and unusual shops.

After a snack at Simmons Bakery (a visit is recommended), we then visited some very old buildings of interest including the childhood home of Clementine Churchill, Winston Churchill's wife.

It was also interesting to see the Art Deco cinema complex called The Rex, which includes the Great Gatsby restaurant. Another very impressive building is the Old Town Hall which is now the Copper House restaurant.

COUNTRYSIDE WALKS

Our next expedition was to do the canal walk which runs through the town alongside the river Bulbourne. Along the canal walk there are pubs and parks to rest and play.

The National Trust's Ashridge Estate in the Chiltern Hills is well worth a visit, with its beautiful woodlands and chalk downlands covering 5,000 acres within which you can walk without encountering a fence.

Ashridge House, which is now a management training college, was built in 1813/14 for the 7th Earl of Bridgewater.  It is only really possible to see this magnificent building from the road but its presence adds to the whole beauty of Ashridge Estate.

Near the visitor centre is the Bridgewater Monument, which was built in 1832 for the 3rd Duke of Bridgewater, known as the ‘Canal Duke’. At weekends it is possible to climb to the top of the monument via an internal staircase for apparently superb views over the forest.

There are also self-drive buggies available at the visitor centre which can be used by the less able to get around and see the full beauty of the forest, however pre-booking is recommended.

We really enjoyed our stay in the Guest Suite at Sheldon Lodge, and we would recommend Berkhamsted and its lovely surrounding countryside and lively town as a pleasant place to live.

To find out more about Sheldon Lodge, please contact our dedicated Sales Team on 01442 819510 to book an appointment to view Show Complex today.


Enjoyed this article?

Share it with your friends and family through your preferred social media channel.