After a successful planning appeal, Churchill Retirement Living has been granted planning permission to build 43 brand new retirement apartments at the site of the former PC Building Supplies Ltd in Hythe. Located at the junction of South Street and St John’s Street, the site is perfectly located for the shops and amenities of the village centre, and close to public transport links.
Planning Inspector H. Stevens found that the development would deliver significant social and economic benefits and the proposal would preserve the character and appearance of the Conservation Area.
The new privately-owned apartments will provide attractive, high quality, secure, self-contained accommodation in landscaped grounds. As with all Churchill Retirement Living developments, Owners will have the benefits of a communal Owners’ Lounge, a Guest Suite, a Lodge Manager provided by Millstream Management Services, and a 24 hour emergency call alarm service.
With less to worry about, Owners will have more time to do the things they enjoy, such as having family or friends to stay in the development’s well-appointed Guest Suite, enjoying a chat with neighbours, or attending one of the regular social events in the comfortable Owners’ Lounge.
Churchill’s Chairman & CEO Spencer McCarthy comments:
After a planning application process that took much longer than we had hoped it would, I’d like to thank everyone who has helped towards achieving this very positive result. There is a compelling overall housing need in Hythe and the surrounding area, especially for older people, and our site is in a highly sustainable and accessible location for a new development of this kind, so we believe this decision is good news for the village. Allowing older people to downsize will also help free up more homes for families and younger people in the local area.
Delivery of 43 retirement apartments will meet existing and future need in the area and will provide these key benefits:
- Allows older people to downsize and free up under occupied houses in the local area for families
- Provides older people with safety, security and companionship
- Benefits the ‘basket shopping economy’ as its central location encourages residents to shop locally
- Provides an attractive, bespoke building which complements the existing streetscape
- Creates efficiencies by allowing Health and Social Services practitioners to visit several residents at once, leading to a more effective use of public resources
- Reduces the need to travel by car, due to proximity to local facilities
For more information on the development, please call 0800 458 1856 or click here.